Business Unit: Secunda Mining
Department: Syferfontein U/G Services
Geographical Area: Secunda, Mpumalanga
Closing date: 1 May 2019
Sasol Mining operates six coal mines that supply feedstock for our Southern African integrated value chain. The coal supplied to Secunda Synfuels Operations (SSO) is mainly used as gasification feedstock and some is used to generate electricity. The coal supplied to Sasolburg Operations (SO) is used to generate electricity and steam. We also export coal from the Twistdraai Export Plant to international power generation customers via the Richards Bay Coal Terminal.
Purpose of the job:
Accountable for first line leadership and management of team members to enable the work of self and team members and building their expertise and skills, and deliver frontline team results such as Safety, Production, Maintenance, Quality, Cost and Motivation.
Core elements of the job:
- Planning, control and management of operations/maintenance activity
- Ensure effective execution of operations/maintenance activities
- Ensure maximum task quality and efficiency, and overall effective use of equipment
- Manage and control costs (where allocated budget responsibility is assigned)
- During emergency situations, evaluate the abnormalities and take corrective action as to avoid downtime, equipment damage and/or SHERQ incidents
- Ensure own team adhere to operational/maintenance procedures and for people and plant
- Ensure maintenance planning is scheduled optimally to maximize production output
- Understand and know the legal requirements on a conveyor belt system
- Have an understanding on the operation and maintenance of conveyor belt systems
Relationships, teamwork and collaboration
- Understands customer requirement and ensures product/service meets customer requirements
- Ensure smooth transition of work from own shift to next shift
- Effective interaction with supporting activities e.g. P&SM, technical, engineering
- Identifies and supports inter-dependencies (synergies) with own and other departments within the value chain
- Give input into how to improve overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE) for the plant
- Continuously applies new ideas/work methods to improve results
- Deals with human resistance to change in own area
- Provide information/assist with projects with technical/support functions
- Avail staff for training and development required due to the change initiative
- Ensure implementation of organizational change initiatives within own team
Minimum qualifications and experience required:
- Grade 12 or N3 or NCV L4 with Mathematics, Science and English or Business English
- NQF Trade test: Artisan Electro-Mechanic
- Typically 5 years experience in relevant field as an Artisan and identified and measured leadership competency
- Valid driver’s license and own transport
Inspirational: Authentically and inclusively engages people to follow; leads culture transformation
Builds Talent: Builds capability and leverages diversity for competitive advantage.
Please note the following clauses:
- The Sasol Group / Sasol Mining will never request you to make any cash deposits/payments as part of the recruitment process.
- In line with Sasol’s commitment to Employment Equity, preference will be given to suitable candidates from designated groups.
- In addition to a pre-employment medical examination, some positions may require a physical fitness assessment as part of the normal selection criteria.