REF: HR/HR/SUPO/CN/IR Specialist (JG 13)/Houghton Estate/220119
Updated on: 2019-01-25 00:00:00
Category: Banking / Finance And Investment
Responsible to implement industrial relations strategies and processes to effectively maintain a positive and stable employee relations climate throughout the organisation, by providing high quality employee relations advice and support to line managers to mitigate any potential risks, whilst promoting a high-performance culture. The focus is to enhance the relationships that exist between SBV and its employees collectively through their union.
- Degree/ National Diploma in Industrial Relations and or Labour Relations.
- 5 years experience in a similar sized unionized environment preferably within manufacturing or logistics of which:
- 2 Years’s experience at representing the company at CCMA
- Extensive knowledge of South African Labour Law and Employment legislation.
Provide SME guidance and support to management
- Effectively cross-collaborate with line managers to implement the IR Strategy and processes within one’s allocated regions of responsibility
- Responsible to align and drive synergies with IR Specialist counterparts to ensure consistency nationally
- Provide industrial relations expertise and operational support on a wide range of employment and industrial issues, including labour law, interpretation and draft of labour agreements, policy development and interpretation as well as grievances
- Provide input into the creation of the IR training program and facilitate the training sessions with line and HR e.g Chairperson’s training, how to facilitate a case as the company representative, etc.
- Provide SME input into the customisation of the company on-boarding and deliver the training for the IR segment to all new and recently promoted managers
- Coach and train line managers and HR on internal IR processes, chairing of disciplinary hearings, grievance processes etc
- Consult and provide support on the preparation for disciplinary hearings
- On complex internal cases, observe the proceedings and provide recommendations on improvements to both the chairperson ( if internal) and the company representative
- Consult and advise management and HR with regard to legislation, policies, and procedures
- Monitor developments within the labour relations field and advise on best labour relations practices
- Draft proposals or counter-proposals for collective bargaining or other labour negotiations, submitting it to review by IR & Business Senior Management
- Engage with employees at the centres in effects to create a conducive labour climate, partnering with applicable Business Units / stakeholders to resolve concerns or challenges raised
- Support Line Management in engaging employee where there is industrial action or threat of industrial action
- Responsible to drive all query resolution to completion in relations to queries raised by employees or union
- Support Line management with complex union/shop steward discussions, providing a full report and action list to the Head: IR
- In conjunction with all other IR specialists, responsible to establish and drive a shop steward strategy which will strengthen relations between SBV and the union
- Partner with Operations to build a sustainable union engagement & partnership strategy, monitoring delivering and reporting progress / non compliance
- Compile new contracts of employment or facilitate amendments as required, submitting them for review to HR and IR senior Management
- Review all existing contracts on an annual basis, to ensure relevancy to company and legislative changes
- Drive workshops with HR General and Line Management on complex IR related matters that are impacting the labour climate.
Represent SBV on Labour dispute matters
- Investigate, prepare and represent SBV at the CCMA, bargaining council and labour department as per the assigned case load
- Responsible to provide a high end consultancy service to ensure the best possible outcome for SBV by:
- Consulting with and preparing all applicable witnesses & or stakeholders
- Drafting all required correspondence, in conjunction with Legal where applicable
- Debriefing stakeholders on areas of development
Facilitate and maintain effective relationships
- Oversee and maintain that labour relations policies and procedures are in place and that they are properly communicated to all, consistently applied and they promote co-operation and respect amongst all levels of staff to achieve stable and healthy relationships
- Facilitate and maintain a good working relationship with union representatives
- Maintain sound relationship with representatives from the Labour Department as well as relevant Service Providers
Systems Management and Reporting
- Implement, capture information and maintain a comprehensive IR administration system
- Reports on all IR Activity throughout the organization verifying the accuracy, identifying trends and providing and analysis thereof
- Monitor internal labour relations trends, propose solutions and submit for review and approval thereafter instituting remedial action
- Remain apprised of all changes or relevant news and provide analysis and report where required
- Provide leadership to employees within SBV
- Creates a conducive environment which translates into productivity and high morale within SBV
- Inspire one’s team to deliver on key performance areas
- Adhere to legislative requirements and Group policies and procedures
- Leading the focus on talent to instil value creation for high value contributors
- Manage one’s headcount in alignment with the principles and policies of SBV on a monthly basis. Inclusive of notifying HR of team cancellations, new business and new initiatives with the relevant documentation /approvals
- Preside over disciplinary hearings on behalf of SBV in alignment with statutory requirements and the policies & procedures of SBV
- Lead and manage the Talent Management Process within one’s centre / s
- Lead and manage the end to end performance management process of employees
- Adhere to legislative requirements, company policies and procedures in respect of employment Health and safety practices
- Manage overtime / illegal overtime of one’s centre/s through proper planning and staff rotation inclusive of driving the time and attendance system within one’s centre/s
- Responsible for employees to undergo the relevant training inclusive of any mandatory refreshers in conjunction with the Training Academy
- Draft and execute training plans in conjunction with the Training Academy
Provide leadership to employees within the organisation, creating a winning culture and high morale.
Lead as an Ambassador and executor of Change
- Act as a change management architect in periods of change to ensure continuity to operations
- Effectively communicate and embed new processes and procedures as they occur addressing or escalating matters / concerns to the SME’s (subject matter experts) when required
- Facilitate the necessary presentations, workshops or forums in order to ensure consistent and accurate communication is given across one’s centre/s
Drive the organisation culture.
- Drive the department’s values while inspiring confidence and generating excitement, enthusiasm and commitment towards the mission.
- Drive Transformation and BBB-EE initiatives to ensure sustainable alignment to the company scorecard
- Provide leadership to employees within the organisation, creating a winning culture and high moral.
- Initiate and lead a culture of performance driven output through shared purpose vision.