Software Engineer (Android) – Takealot
takealot.com, a leading South African online retailer, is looking for a highly talented Android Mobile Developer to join our team in Cape Town and be part of the mobile team and building the best possible mobile experience for our customers.
Help shape the mobile eCommerce landscape in South Africa and work on apps that are consistently in the top 5 of their respective category in the app store, with thousands of active daily users.
- Help design, develop and refine new features
- Locate and resolve bugs and crashes
- Brainstorm new ideas and concepts
- Work with teammates on design, code reviews, and estimation
We expect you to:
- Be accountable
- And take pride in your work
The position reports to the Mobile Engineering Team Lead.
- 3 year computer science degree (or equivalent)
- At least 2 years of professional experience in native Android (preferably using Android Studio)
- Strong Computer Science and programming fundamentals
- Full understanding of the Android application and activity lifecycles
- Experience with Fragments.
- Appreciation of Android-specific asynchronous processing techniques.
- Knowledge of strategies to handle issues related to platform fragmentation, differing screen sizes and multiple OS versions.
- Experience working with unit test frameworks (Easymock, Mockito, Roboelectric, etc)
- Experience with network requests to RESTful APIs using best practice and well known libraries (volley, restkit, etc)
- Knowledge and Appreciation of Android user experience design patterns.
- Experience developing eCommerce apps for retail
- Experience working with software development tools including Git, Jira and Confluence.
- Experience with writing UI Automation scripts using Appium
- Any iOS native development experience
We are a young, dynamic, hyper growth company looking for smart, creative, hard working people to join us. We offer market related benefits, a great work environment and a promise that you won’t be bored as long as you are prepared for a challenge and want to build something great.
What can Takealot offer you?
- Great modern offices in central Cape Town with views of both Table mountain and the ocean
- Big kitchen with multiple coffee and vending machines (cause all developers love their coffee right ?!)
- Have a drink with us every Thursday at our onsite Drink-a-lot bar
- Pool and Table tennis tables
- Free parking space provided for all staff
- Your birthday as a day off on us!
- Your choice of laptop and desk equipment
- takealot.com employees are entrepreneurial and dynamic, smart, customer-centric, fun and have the shared ambition of takealot.com being the leading e-commerce company in Africa.
- We have fun, work hard, take ownership, work in teams to create solutions, and are always open to direct feedback/new ideas on where we can improve.
- We are short on ego and high on output.
- We are doers and not only thinkers, its all in the execution after all.
- We love what we do and what we are creating.
Takealot is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference