takealot.com, a leading South African online retailer, is looking for a highly talented UX Team Lead to join our Product team in Cape Town.
In this role, you will guide research and design processes, mentor talented members of your team, and collaborate with product managers, software engineers, and many others to solve complex challenges and craft powerful and innovative experiences across all of Takealot’s digital platforms.
You are a great design team leader, manager, systems-level design thinker – with an outstanding intuition – who will provide leadership and direction for a team of designers. You have a sense for clean design and are committed to creating elegantly simple user experiences from otherwise complex workflows. You also take time to understand performance side of design, and also the business aspects of the products.
This is a hands-on role: you should expect to spend at least 60% of your time performing UX tasks and producing UX artifacts. The other 40% of your time will be split between day-to-day people management, recruitment and strategic planning with other leads and senior management.
Reporting to the UX Manager.
- Provide leadership, direction and mentorship for a team of UX Designers.
- Collaborate with product managers, software engineers, and business to solve complex challenges and craft user-centric solutions.
- Build strong relationships and operating rhythms with leaders inside and outside the product team to efficiently implement user experiences that are cohesive, holistic and well-informed.
- Advocate users in a fast-paced environment, imparting day-to-day design leadership.
- Foster a culture of data-driven decision making.
- Information architecture & information design
- Interaction design
- Persona creation
- User-centered design
- Wireframing & prototyping
- Copy writing
- Task analysis
- Market research
- Usability testing
- A/B testing
- Data analysis
- Web analytics
- Business analysis
- Communication skills (written, verbal & visual)
- Chairing workshops & meetings
- Project & people management
Experience & Qualifications:
- 7 years of experience in UX Design.
- Experience in managing or leading design teams.
- Portfolio of UX-focused work samples for web and mobile applications.
- Experience working across organizational boundaries to define, manage and prioritize work, with a collaborative and innovative approach.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex concepts clearly across different audiences and varying levels of the organization.
- Excellent communication, presentation and analytical skills.
- Takelot.com employees are entrepreneurial and dynamic, smart, customer-centric, fun and have the shared ambition of takealot.com being the leading e-commerce company in Africa.
- We have fun, work hard, take ownership, collborate to create solutions, and are always open to direct feedback/new ideas about how we can improve.
- We are short on ego and high on output.
- We are doers and not only thinkers, it’s all in the execution afterall.
- We love what we do and what we are creating.
We seek to Employ an Extra Ordinary Mind who:
- is forthright but respectful
- is an expert at doing, who can not only design but also execute
- is analytical, able to use data to make decisions
- is competitive, self-directed and strives to be the BEST (GREAT requires a lot of work and does not only happen during business hours
- is passionate about the potential of e-commerce and delivering a world-class customer experience
- is entrepreneurial, thrives with change, accepts change is a constant and always looks for solutions to do something better and faster
- thinks about problems from a business perspective using technical and product input
- is curious and challenges the status quo
- is innovative and enjoys iteration
- is collaborative
- will be at the cutting edge of developing new concepts for takealot.com
- thinks like an owner of the business
- is SMART, has INTEGRITY and is HARDWORKING
If you meet the above you are an Extraordinary Mind, so come join us!
Takealot is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference