takealot.com, a leading South African online retailer, is looking for a highly talented Head of Design to join our team in Cape Town.
We are a young, dynamic, hyper growth company looking for smart, creative, hard-working people with integrity to join us. We offer a market related, Total Remuneration Package which allows full flexibility according to your needs, a great work environment and a promise that you won’t be bored as long as you are prepared for a challenge and want to build something great.
This position reports to the Chief Marketing Officer.
As the Head of Design you will be the custodian of all visual and creative assets that relate to the takealot.com brand. You will be responsible for presenting creative and consistent visual executions of the brand identity across all customer facing touch points. These touch points include digital platforms, channels, campaigns, owned assets (vehicles, warehouse etc) as well as print & outdoor executions.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Brand custodian and responsible for creative, art direction and visual positioning of the brand across all mediums
- Design of all key customer facing design assets on and off site.
- Ensure the studio / design team create and support Marketing campaigns and business objectives.
- Sign off on all treatments of our brand across all media touch points.
- External vendor management manage all design related work that is outsourced to 3rd parties.
- Design project management to ensure KPI’s and deadlines for designers and Studio as a whole are met.
- Lead and coordinate studio and design team’s efforts.
- Mentoring, developing and coaching design team
- Ensure creative, consistent and high quality design output.
- Plan and measure the overall workflow of the studio design team & ensure all deadlines are met (with support of the Traffic Manager)
- Manage planning and work intake including overall design project assignment process
- Manage briefs that come in from other departments and from within the Marketing Team and allocate working work accordingly.
- Quality control, review and sign off all the creative and design outputs
- Take responsibility for the management of tasks briefed, and drive them to completion in a timeous fashion.
- Manage cross department and agency resources where necessary to get design / creative projects implemented.
- Proactively and on an ongoing basis identify and implement design improvement opportunities
- Creative mindset – be able to craft numerous campaigns across many departments
- Solutions-oriented – have a can-do attitude and high energy
- Highly organised and efficient, with an ability to work towards and meet tight deadlines
- Capability to present ideas succinctly in creative, writing and verbally
- Versatile and with the appetite to learn by doing
- Experience with high-volume, fast paced performance creative campaigns (preferably in ecommerce)
- Strong work ethic, positive attitude, and leadership qualities with the ability to handle multiple tasks and set priorities
- Strong team leadership and collaboration skills
- Proven success at managing multiple projects, schedules and resources.
- Exceptional eye for detail
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organisational skills
- Expert working knowledge of Adobe CC (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
- Good working knowledge of HTML
- Showcase design portfolio of work to demonstrate experience and ability to drive the creative output for takealot.com.
- A candidate with a proven track record of success in their academic achievements and career.
- Degree/Diploma in design or related field and or tertiary qualification in visual design
- A minimum of 3-4 years in a similar role & managing a team
- Experience in an e-commerce environment (advantageous)
- takealot.com employees are entrepreneurial and dynamic, smart, customer-centric, fun and have the shared ambition of takealot.com being the leading e-commerce company in Africa.
- We have fun, work hard, take ownership, work in teams to create solutions, and are always open to direct feedback/new ideas on where we can improve.
- We are short on ego and high on output.
- We are doers and not only thinkers, its all in the execution after all.
- We love what we do and what we are creating.
We seek to Employ an Extra Ordinary Mind who:
- is respectful but forthright
- is an expert at doing, who can not only design but also execute
- is analytical, able to use data to make decisions
- is competitive, self-directed and strive to be the BEST (GREAT requires a lot of work and does not only happen during business hours
- is passionate about the potential of e-commerce and delivering a world-class customer experience
- is entrepreneurial, thrives under change and accepts it is a constant and always looks for solutions to do something better and faster
- is business SMART. Able to think about problems from a business perspective using technical and product input;
- is curious and challenge the status quo
- is innovative and enjoys iteration
- is collaborative
- will be at the cutting edge of developing new concepts for takealot.com
- thinks like an owner of the business
- is SMART, has INTEGRITY and is HARD WORKING
If you meet the above you are an Extraordinary Mind so come and join us!
Takealot is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference