SANLAM | UNDERWRITER II
Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
Location: Empangeni, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa
Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Company: Sanlam Group
Who are we?
Santam is the market leader in the general insurance industry in Southern Africa. We are a large, diversified, expanding and transforming company and whilst based in South Africa, we are rapidly moving into a number of emerging markets, both in Africa and Asia. Our success is rooted in our passion for our clients and everything we do is centred on our delivery of Insurance Good and Proper.
A position at Santam exists for a position as Commercial and Personal lines Underwriter based at our offices in Pretoria. Please note that the incumbent will be office-bound and a company vehicle does not form part of the job offer.
• Do all support administration and capturing on Santam systems, of all Personal Lines and Commercial policies, related to any policy information (includes new applications, any changes and quotes).
• Create and implement a sales strategy and business plan for each individual broker.
• Establish and manage strong relationship with brokers including business managers.
• Responsible for growth of allocated broker portfolio.
• Work with brokers in developing a business plan to grow business.
• Assist in identifying new potential brokers and opportunities for business growth.
• Be aware of competition and market information.
• Facilitate the sales process and ensure that brokers deal with correct channels.
• Facilitate finalization of quotes
• Monthly analysis of figures down to broker level
• Implementation of underwriting policies for Personal and Commercial Lines.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE FOR UNDERWRITER
• Completed GR12
• Insurance-related qualification will be advantageous.
• FAIS compliant 150 credits on NQF Level 4
• At least 3 years personal and commercial lines experience in an operational environment
• Experience on Santam systems: Policy Centre and Mainframe.
• Sales experience in the financial sector
• Experience in maintaining and growing a profitable portfolio.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL FOR UNDERWRITER
• Technical product knowledge w.r.t. short term insurance
• Technical underwriting knowledge
• Good communication skills (verbal and written)
• Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills
• Business skills
• Conflict management skills
• System knowledge: Personal Lines and Commercial Lines: Ignite and Mainframe
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR UNDERWRITER
• In-depth knowledge of financial analysis processes and statistics
We’re all about building strong, lasting relationships with our employees. We know that you have hopes for your future – your career, your personal development and of achieving great things. We pride ourselves in helping our employees to realise their worth. Through its business clusters – Sanlam Personal Finance, Sanlam Emerging Markets, Sanlam Investments, Sanlam Corporate, Santam, Miway, as well as the Group Office – the group provides many opportunities for growth and development.
The shortlisting process will only start once the application due date has been reached. The time taken to complete this process will depend on how far you progress and the availability of managers.
The Sanlam Group is committed to achieving transformation and embraces diversity. This commitment is what drives us to achieve a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace as we believe that these are key components to ensuring a thriving and sustainable business in South Africa. The Group’s Employment Equity plan and targets will be considered as part of the selection process.